Sunday, November 11, 2012

Holiday Gift Guide

I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I'm putting together a holiday gift guide anyway. Hanukkah starts early this year and some people like to plan ahead. Wondering what to get the gardener in your life? Trying to figure out what you want so you can drop hints to your loved ones? You're in the right place. I kept all the gifts under $50 and many are much less. Some are practical and some are just for fun. I'm not getting paid to promote these; I'm not a real blogger yet.

My dog, Barney, with what he wants
for Christmakkah: A chicken-flavored Nylabone.

  1. This gardening bag with knee pads is the most practical thing on my list. It's pretty cheap at only $15, and everyone needs a gardening bag. You can keep your twine, clippers, trowel and plant feed in it. Also, those knee pads will really come in handy for container gardeners who have to kneel down on a hard concrete patio or wooden deck instead of the soft ground. 
  2. For the pet-loving gardener, these grass bowls can be a fun gift. It gives the human a chance to grow something and the pet a chance to eat something. For $10-15, it's another affordable one. The website says the bowl can be used for pet food once the grass is gone, but I'm guessing any pet owner already has one. But you can always get more seeds and grow the grass seasonally or use it as a travel water dish.
  3. This gift set pushes right up against my stated price limit, but I think it's really charming and good for a beginning gardener. The main piece is a painted, steel watering can that comes in three color choices. Now obviously a gardener will already have a watering can, but this one is really pretty and may be able to replace a utilitarian plastic one. It also comes with gardening gloves and hand cream to keep your skin soft and protected. Finish it off with herb scissors and plant labels, which are practical but not necessarily something everyone has or needs, to make it into something really indulgent.
  4. I am in love with the classical beauty of this windowsill herb garden. The stylish container is a strawberry pot, and it's great for growing small plants as decoration. It is about $30 and comes with seeds for several types of herbs and a pot you can use season after season. The description says "everything you need." The jury is still out on whether that includes the soil!
  5. I haven't grown herbs yet, but come spring I plan on buying a deck rail container and growing bundles of them to help my mediocre cooking. When I do, this herb drying rack will really come in handy. It's $25 and my favorite thing on this list. It's both practical for keeping your herbs from going to waste and an attractive way to spruce up your home. 
  6. I searched for a while for a pretty watering can to add, and this mouse one is pretty cute. It's $24, and can double as a watering can for your house plants or smaller pots and decoration. 
  7. Rain gauges are useful for seeing if you got enough rain to avoid watering your outdoor plants. I love ladybugs, so I'm highlighting this pretty little gauge with a flower and bug. Just stake it in the ground or a pot to add a touch of whimsy in a practical tool for just $16.
  8. One of the great things about container gardening versus gardening in the ground is that you can adjust it easily for people with physical limitations, for instance by putting pot on a table if bending down is a problem. If you know a gardener who can't or doesn't like to kneel down, this gardening seat is $25, swivels and is height adjustable. 
  9. For $30, you or your special gardener could increase your space for plant containers and extend the planting season. This portable greenhouse lets you heat up your plants and has several shelves. It's pretty big, so make sure whoever you are getting it for has the space. 
  10. This is my second favorite thing on the list. As someone with a degree in journalism, I still love physical newspapers. I also hate spending money. This little tool is only $20 and lets you turn old newspapers into seed starting pots. Obviously you'd have to be a little careful about not over-watering, but I think they look cute and will save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment