Monday, February 17, 2014

Let's give this another go

So I got very busy with graduate school and work and let my last plants die and didn't have the energy to plant anything more. But this semester I was determined to do some more gardening experiments. My partner and dog and I went to the botanical gardens on Valentine's Day, which further inspired me.
Since I live in Florida and the weather here is warming up nicely, today I took a trip to the garden center and bought some seeds and soil. I also bought a chocolate mint plant on a whim. I love how reasonably priced gardening can be!
When I got home, I cleaned out my old pots and left them in the sun to disinfect. I also re-potted an aloe plant that I'd let get even more dry than is good for aloe. I potted the chocolate mint and only ate two leaves.
 
Sorry for the poor image quality,
but this is the mint and the aloe.

Soon I'll start seeds for my other plants.I bought seeds for basil, green beans, a container variety of carrots, lettuce and sunflowers (for the microgreens). Later in the season I'll go back to the store and buy a tomato plant and maybe either blueberries or strawberries. I'd like to branch out into fruit.
It feels really good to get back into gardening. Just cleaning out the pots and feeling the sun on my skin made me feel cheerful and productive. After I'd done that, I felt ready to tackle my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment